Port Facility Security – ISPS Code Implementation
Information: Panagiotis Nikolaou (PFSO)
ISPS Office/ Tel .: +3026650 – 99332, Fax: +3026650 – 99338
+3026650 – 99324
Igoumenitsa Port Authority S.A. has an obligatory port facility falls within the scope of the P.D. (Presidential Decree) 56/2004, Government Gazette (A47 / 11-02-2004), Law 3622/2007 and Law 4150/2001 on the enhancement of the security of ships, port facilities and ports.
This port facility includes New Port of Igoumenitsa – GRIGO 0003, which is subject to the mandatory requirements of the international safety framework as established by both the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the International Code for the Safety of Ships and Port Facilities (ISPS Code), the European Union (EC) 725/2004, and the incorporation of the above requirements into Greek data (L.3622 / 2007, L.4150 / 2013).
The port facility of New Port of Igoumenitsa has the required Port Authority Safety Assessment and Port Facility Security Plan approved by the Ministry of Shipping, which take into account the specificities of the port facilities and then determine the procedures to be followed, the measures to be taken and the appropriate actions.
Igoumenitsa Port Authority S.A. has a contract , following a tender procedure, with a Private Security Service Company for the provisions of the approved Safety Plan. The security services are provided at the port facility of Igoumenitsa Port Authority S.A. in accordance with the approved Safety Plan, and includes the following:
- Safeguarding of port facilities (static and patrol)
- Access control of persons, vehicles, trucks
- Security investigations of persons, hand luggage, luggage, vehicles and lorries
- Control of cargo, mail, supplies and stocks
- Security surveillance of port facilities via closed CCTV circuit
- Use of two (2) appropriately trained bio-detection K-9 to identify potential stowaways in transit and within a port facility.
- Operation of Magnetic Gates for Control of Passengers and X-ray Devices (X-RAY) at Checkpoint Entry
Igoumenitsa Port Authority S.A. has as a goal to create a safe working environment by defining and enforcing the necessary security measures and procedures to prevent acts of unlawful action against ships at berth and at port facilities as well.
The specific objectives of Igoumenitsa Port Authority S.A.for the safety of port facilities can be summarized as follows:
- Implement the provisions of the International and Greek legislation and the relevant regulations applicable to security matters and ensure that they are covered by the approved Security Plan,
- Obtaining all the necessary security measures and the implementation of the security procedures for the protection of its ships, as well as its assets and infrastructures,
- Take measures to protect the persons who work or who are within,
- Improving skills and awareness of the security concept by its staff;
- Preparation of emergency response measures and procedures for dealing with security incidents.